general information

Water Service Basics

When you would like to begin or end water service at a property in Marshalltown, contact our office.  Our normal business hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  You may contact our office by any of the options at the bottom of the page.

When you buy a property served by the Water Works, you also own the piping from the public water main to your house including the curb stop.  A curb stop or “stop box” is a valve on your private water service located between the public water main and your home. Often, you can see a metal cap approximately 4 inches in diameter in your lawn between the sidewalk and the curb. Stop boxes allow the Water Works employees to turn off the water to your home.  Usually this is done at the homeowner's request for plumbing repairs or upon moving out of a property and wanting the water service terminated.

The meter in your home, the wiring for the outside touchpad and the touchpad are the property of the Water Works.  The touchpad on the outside of your house is used to read the meter.

Locating Water Mains and Services

If you are going to be doing any digging, Iowa law requires you to call 48-Hours in advance to the IOWA ONE-CALL SYSTEM.  This allows the utilities in your area to locate their facilities prior to any excavation.  Failure to notify the ONE-CALL SYSTEM will make you responsible for the cost of any repairs to the utilities that may be damaged. The number to call for locates is 1-800-ONE-CALL.  Tell them your address and the area that you are going to be working in. You also need to tell them what type of work you will be doing.  Keep in mind that the Marshalltown Water Works only locates the facilities that we own.  We own the public water mains, fire hydrants and valves.  The water services to individual buildings are privately owned.  The Water Works has a record of the stop box and tap locations.  If you are a contractor and would like these located, you must fill out a form at our office.